Monday, January 27, 2014

My Take: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Attachments is an adult contemporary novel by Rainbow Rowell


Endearing. Quirky. Funny. Warm-fuzzy comfort in the form of a hardcover. 

That sums up my instants thoughts on this book. 

This book is set in the late 90's and centers around Lincoln. A sweet, somewhat socially awkward, smart guy. He has acquired many degrees, plays Dungeons and Dragons, had his heart torn out by his first and only love, and has moved back home with his Mom. He is so sweet and loveable and is tall, with broad shoulders! I love a man with broad shoulders guys! I just want to hug him! 

He gets hired at a newspaper as an IT guy, to monitor the work emails and internet usage.  When an email gets "flagged" as inappropriate, he is suppose to send out warnings to the sender. 

Enter Beth and Jennifer, whose emails to each other get flagged. A lot. As he reads through the email, he finds the emails draw him in. The interaction between the two friends is so endearing to him. He does struggle with this. He knows it is wrong on so many levels, but he feels this apprehension to sever the only contact with them. I know, I know. How very stalker and creepy...right? But no! It was written in a way that I think a lot of people can relate to. It doesn't read as creepy. HONEST! Lincoln is just...he is just...It's innocent I tell ya! 

The story unfolds through the emails, as well as through Lincoln's personal story. We get to be a little voyeuristic with Lincoln, and I think that was really interesting and fun. And it was really well done. The flow was perfect throughout the book. 

Jennifer, I really liked her. She is a nice person with a crappy Mom, who left her with this constant sense of foreboding and doubt. But it didn't leave her being a dull and unlikeable character. In fact, it was quiet the opposite. I felt more attached to her.  She is married to a  man who is perfect for her. A man who sees what a great person she is. And is very patient with her inner struggles. 

Now, Beth. She is another great character in this book and the one the Lincoln really feels a kindred spirit type of thing for. She works as a movie critic for the newspaper. Beth is witty, clever, so caring and just a really good friend and person. Her friendship with Jennifer is so authentic and wonderful. She is in a relationship with a rocker guy who is less than attentive to Beth. It was so fun to read Beth's emails talking about a really cute guy she has seen in the office. (so giddy!!)

I loved how so many chances for them to meet, left me feeling excited and giddy. And without giving any spoilers away, to find out, how paths come so close to crossing.  

The chapters where Lincoln is with his friends were so well done. I enjoyed seeing him with people he was comfortable with. And the scene in chapter 80 had me cracking up. Lincoln had been not showing up as often to the D&D nights and Dave pointed out that "Either you're in the game or not, Troy has been dragging your unconscious dwarf on an earth sled, just to keep you in the campaign. You're a constant drain on his magic."  Dave, Lincoln and Troy continue on like that for the rest of the page. That whole interaction between the three was just hilarious. 

This book, I have to say, is the first book that I felt I could fall in love with the lead man. Yeah, I have swooned over the hot hunk in other books. Or really liked the male leads. But Lincoln is seriously someone I feel I could fall in love with. That I want to fall in love with. 

The sincerity and lack of fear in showing his vulnerable side makes him endearing. And the fact that I feel he isn't afraid of stepping up and being a man and "protecting" his loved ones makes him feel like a total package. 

I love this book. I love Lincoln and Beth and Doris and Troy. I just love it all. 

Attachments has definitely leaped to my top favorites list. 


I give this novel an obvious 5 out of 5 stars! 

Have you read this book? If so, tell me what you thought of it! 

Thanks so much for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I went to my favorite place today! The Library!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the library. I look forward to my biweekly visit so I can spend countless hours looking through shelves of books, and sitt...